The war between Israel and Hamas: Netanyahu’s latest statements test the truce proposal supported by the United States

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — The feasibility of a US-backed proposal to end the conflict The war on Gaza has been going on for 8 months Doubts were raised on Monday after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would only be willing to agree to a “partial” ceasefire deal that would not end the war, comments that caused an uproar among families of hostages held by Hamas.

In an interview broadcast on Israel’s Channel 14, a conservative pro-Netanyahu station, late Sunday, the Israeli leader said he was “ready to make a partial deal – and this is no secret – that will bring some people back to us.” In reference to approximately 120 hostages still being held in the Gaza Strip. But we are committed to continuing the war after it has stopped, in order to complete the goal of eliminating Hamas. “I’m not ready to give that up.”

Netanyahu’s statements did not deviate significantly from what he had previously said regarding his conditions for reaching an agreement. But it comes at a sensitive time as Israel and Hamas appear to be drifting further apart on the latest ceasefire proposal, and could represent another setback for mediators trying to end the war.

Netanyahu’s statements contradicted sharply what was stated in the statements Outline of the deal It was detailed late last month by US President Joe Biden, who drafted the plan as Israeli and which some in Israel refer to as the “Netanyahu deal.” His notes can and Which increases the tension in Israel’s relations with the United Statesits biggest ally, which launched a major diplomatic campaign for the latest ceasefire proposal.

See also  Hamas releases 16 hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners

The three-stage plan will lead to the release of the remaining hostages in exchange for the release of hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. but Disagreements and mistrust continue Between Israel and Hamas on how to implement the deal.

Hamas insists that it will not release the remaining hostages unless there is a permanent ceasefire and a complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. When Biden announced the latest proposal last month, he said it included both.

But Netanyahu says Israel remains committed to destroying Hamas’ military and governance capabilities, and ensuring that it is never again able to carry out an attack similar to what happened on October 7. It is almost certain that a complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, where Hamas’s senior leadership and a large portion of its forces remain intact, would leave the movement in control of the region and able to rearm it.

This is what Netanyahu said in the interview The current phase of combat endsThis paves the way for Israel to send more forces to its northern borders to confront the Lebanese armed group Hizb allahThis may open a new war front. But he said that this does not mean that the war in Gaza is over.

During the initial six-week phase, the two sides are supposed to negotiate an agreement on the second phase, which Biden said would include the release of all remaining living hostages, including male soldiers, and Israel’s complete withdrawal from Gaza. The temporary ceasefire will become permanent.

Hamas appears concerned that Israel will resume the war once its most vulnerable hostages are returned. Even if that does not happen, Israel could make demands at that stage of the negotiations that were not part of the initial deal and are unacceptable to Hamas – and then resume the war when Hamas rejects them.

See also  Liz Truss: British leader's frontrunner says 'the jury's out' when asked if France is 'friend or foe'

Netanyahu’s statements reinforced this concern. After it was broadcast, Hamas said it represented “an unequivocal confirmation of its rejection” of the US-backed agreement, which was also accepted. With the support of the United Nations Security Council.

In a statement issued late Sunday after a lengthy television interview with Netanyahu, the Palestinian movement said his position “contradicts” what the US administration said Israel had agreed to. The movement said that its insistence that any agreement include a permanent ceasefire and the withdrawal of all Israeli forces from the entire Gaza Strip “was an inevitable necessity to repel Netanyahu’s attempts to evade, deceive, and perpetuate aggression and war.” “And genocide against our people.”

Netanyahu responded and said in a statement issued by his office that Hamas opposes the deal. He said that Israel would not withdraw from Gaza until all 120 hostages were returned.

Hamas welcomed the broad outlines of the American plan, but proposed what it said were “amendments.” During a visit to the region earlier this month, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that some of Hamas’ demands are “workable” and others are not, without going into details.

Netanyahu and Hamas alike Incentives to continue the destructive war Despite the catastrophic loss of civilians in Gaza and the growing anger in Israel that after many months Israel has not achieved its goals of returning the hostages and defeating Hamas.

The hostage families have become increasingly impatient with Netanyahu, seeing his apparent reluctance to go ahead with the deal as tainted by political considerations. A group representing families condemned Netanyahu’s statements, which they considered an Israeli rejection of the recent ceasefire proposal.

See also  Leaked notes from Chinese health officials estimate 250 million Covid-19 infections in December: reports

She considered that “this is an abandonment of the 120 hostages and a violation of the state’s moral duty towards its citizens,” noting that she holds Netanyahu responsible for returning all the prisoners.

In its cross-border attack on October 7, Hamas-led militants killed 1,200 people and captured 250, including women, children and the elderly. Dozens were released under a temporary ceasefire in late November, and Israeli authorities say about a third of the remaining 120 hostages are dead.

The Israeli war of retaliation led to the deaths of more than 37,000 Palestinians, according to the Ministry of Health in the territories controlled by Hamas. It sparked a humanitarian crisis and displaced most of the region’s population of 2.3 million people.

___

Magdy reported from Cairo.

___

Follow AP’s coverage of the war in Gaza on https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *