ARLINGTON, Texas – On his return from a 14-month hiatus and surgery on a detached retina, unified champion Errol Spence Jr. made the full statement at Homecoming Saturday about his place in the welterweight division.
Spence (28-0, 22 KOs) expanded his dominance as a powerhouse at 147 pounds by uniting his WBC and IBF titles with Yordenis Ugas’ WBA belt (27-5, 12 KOs) in a thrilling 10th-round TKO run inside AT&T Electric Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
A native of DeSoto next door, the 32-year-old exchanged massive shots from close range as he looked to make a statement against the brave Ogas, who wobbled Spence in the sixth round with a series of shots that flapped his tongue. To Spence’s credit, he never fell and continued to bulge out Ogas’ right eye, forcing referee Lawrence Cole to stop the fight at 1:44 of the tenth round on the advice of the ringleader.
CBS Sports was with you all the way Saturday night, so be sure to catch up on the live scores and highlights below.
Spence vs Ogas card fighting, odds
- Errol Spence, Jr. (c) Dave. Jordenes Ugas via 10th round TKO (doctor stop)
- Isaac Cruz def. Yuurikis Gamboa via TKO from the fifth round
- Jose Valenzuela Def. Francisco Vargas by knockout in the first round
- Cody Crowley defeated. Josecito Lopez by unanimous decision (98-91, 98-91, 99-90)
- Eimantas Stanionis def. Radhab Putayev via split resolution (116-111, 117-110, 113-114)
- Brandon Lee Dave. Zachary Ochoa by unanimous decision (99-91, 99-91, 98-92)
Spence vs. Ugas scorecard, live coverage
“Coffee ninja. Web fan. Hipster-friendly beer enthusiast. Professional creator.”