The Arizona State Sun Devils host the USC Trojans in a Week 4 Pac-12 college football matchup on Saturday night at Mountain America Stadium in Tempe.
Arizona State (1-2) is coming off a 29-0 loss to Fresno State.
USC (3-0) was out last week after beating Stanford in Week 2, 56-10.
USC leads the all-time series with ASU, 24-14 and won the last meeting between the Pac-12 rivals last season in Los Angeles, 42-25.
This could be the last time these teams play for the foreseeable future, with ASU leaving the Pac-12 for the Big 12 in 2024 and USC leaving the conference for the Big Ten.
Follow our updates to get the latest scores from the game, plus analysis and news.
The Sun Devils will have to play a very clean game to have any chance of upsetting the highly ranked Trojans.
They have done so so far.
During the first quarter, ASU did not commit a punt, while USC had six penalties for 35 yards.
Arizona State had no turnovers either, while the Trojans committed the pivotal foul that led to ASU’s touchdown.
ASU could really use a nice sustained drive to give its defense some relief and put some pressure on USC’s defense.
USC entered the game as a 33.5-point favorite, so the Sun Devils are clearly viewed as being outmatched, but they’re not playing with that much of an advantage right now.
ASU forced a fourth-and-7 at USC’s ASU 43 on the Trojans’ next possession, but Caleb Williams found Brendan Rice for a 43-yard touchdown on the play to give USC a 14-7 lead.
USC’s drive went 87 yards in nine plays and took 5:30.
Williams is now 8-for-10 for 114 yards passing as well as a rushing touchdown.
USC has a 190-15 advantage in total yards and a 12:01 to 1:44 advantage in time of possession.
However, the Sun Devils are playing hard, and are clearly excited for the matchup against the highly favored Trojans.
USC nearly turned the ball over on successive plays as it was initially ruled that the Zachariah Branch Trojans had fumbled the ensuing kickoff, but the call was overturned on review.
a result: USC 14, ASU 7 (1:15 remaining in 1st quarter)
In fact, the Sun Devils took advantage of a USC error as Cameron Scatepo ran in from 15 yards out on third-and-10 at the USC 15 to tie the game against the Trojans, 7-7.
The result ended a huge drought for the Sun Devils.
ASU has not scored a point since Elijah Badger caught a 65-yard touchdown pass from Jaden Rashadah with 10:07 remaining in the second quarter against Oklahoma State in Week 2.
ASU was eliminated by Fresno State in Week 3, 29-0.
That shutout against Fresno State was the Sun Devils’ first shutout at home since November 12, 1988, a 50-0 loss to USC.
Arizona State University will take that.
a result: Arizona State 7, USC 7 (6:57 left in first quarter)
The Trojans had just given ASU the ball at the USC 15 when Caleb Williams and Marshon Lloyd fumbled a handoff on their first play of the second possession.
Can ASU capitalize on the mistake?
Drew Payne starts at quarterback for the ASU football team after exiting the Sun Devils’ 29-0 loss to Fresno State last week with an injury.
He didn’t start on the right foot.
ASU went 3-out on the possession, as Pyne threw three incomplete passes.
ASU has struggled to get anything going on offense this season, and that has worn down their defense with other teams dominating time of possession.
This game was not a good start in that regard for the Sun Devils, as the Trojans actually held a 6:14 to :26 advantage in time of possession.
The Trojans had a lot of success in their opening drives under Lincoln Riley, having scored 12 goals in Riley’s 17 games as the team’s head coach entered the game against ASU on Saturday.
Throw in 13 opening drive touchdowns in 18 games.
USC marched 75 yards in 12 plays over 6:14 to take a 7-0 lead over Arizona State, landing a 1-yard touchdown run from quarterback Caleb Williams.
ASU had a chance to stop the Trojans early in the drive, but Williams completed a 23-yard pass to Zachariah Branch on third-and-2 at the USC 15 after USC had back-to-back false starts and delay of game penalties.
Williams went 4-for-6 for 39 yards on the opening drive.
a result: USC 7, ASU (8:46 remaining in 1st quarter)
Arizona Cardinals GM Monti Ossenfort was spotted at the USC vs. ASU on Saturday night.
Why will Ossenfort attend the match?
USC QB Caleb Williams is projected to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, if he gets in, and the Cardinals will likely get that No. 1 overall pick.
more: Watch Caleb Williams in Arizona as much as possible, as he may not want to play for the Cardinals
USC vs. Arizona State at 7:45 PM EST after the conclusion of the Oregon State vs.
The Sun Devils will be shorthanded against the Trojans.
Injuries have plagued ASU all season, and the injury report for Saturday night’s game is extensive, especially on the offensive line.
Players unavailable due to injury are OL Ben Coleman, OL Isaiah Glass, OL Emmit Bohle, OL Max Iheanchor, RB DeCarlos Brooks, RB George Hart, QB Trenton Bourguet, QB Jaden Rashada, DB Montana Warren, WR Jordyn Tyson and DE Clayton Smith.
A post saying Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson had resigned Saturday night before the Arizona State University football team’s game against USC has been deleted.
Publication, from Doug Franz on X“Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson has resigned,” he said.
It has sparked a lot of speculation about the future of ASU, which has come under heavy criticism for its handling of the Arizona athletic department.
This post is from the former Arizona Sports 98.7 FM radio host, who now runs a podcast, Doug Franz is unpluggedwas awake for several hours on Saturday before it was removed.
Several ASU insiders posted on social media that they were unable to confirm the report, including Michelle Gardner of the Arizona Republic.
Arizona State University did not issue a statement regarding the report.
Anderson was spotted on the Arizona State University football field at Mountain America Stadium before the game.
Could Ray Anderson be out soon as athletic director at ASU?
While fans have been calling for the ASU AD to be fired since the investigation into recruiting allegations under former coach Herm Edwards came to light, a report on Saturday indicated that Anderson may resign from his position at ASU.
“Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson has resigned,” the report by Doug Franz on Channel X read.
Franz, a former broadcaster at Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, now runs a podcast, Doug Franz is unplugged.
Speculation spread on social media after Franz’s report. ASU did not issue a statement.
The Arizona Republic was unable to confirm Franz’s report.
more: ESPN broadcaster says ASU needs to fire AD Ray Anderson
The ASU vs. USC game can be watched on Saturday at 7pm GMT on FOX.
Tim Brando is on the play-by-play call of the game. Spencer Tillman is the analyst.
more information: How to watch and stream the USC vs. ASU
Tickets are still available for the Arizona State Sun Devils’ Pac-12 college football game against the USC Trojans on Saturday night at Mountain America Stadium in Tempe.
But prices are rising.
Ticket manager is offering a pair of tickets to the Week 4 College Football Playoff that will feature USC’s Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams for $40.78 per ticket (including fees) as of Friday morning.
Many other tickets were under $60 each.
more information: USC Football vs. Arizona State ticket prices for Saturday’s Pac-12 game
Going to the game?
Although you may be excited to watch the USC vs. Arizona State, but you have to get to the field first, which presents some challenges.
This guide will help you navigate the parking lots, track and enter the stadium, formerly known as Sun Devil Stadium, for ASU’s fourth game of the season.
more information: ASU football parking at Mountain America Stadium during game day, baggage tracking, and ticket information
Everyone expects USC to beat Arizona State in Saturday’s game (at least we didn’t see an option for ASU to win).
The Arizona Republic’s Michelle Gardner previews and predicts the outcome of the game in her ASU vs. USC football scouting report.
ESPN gives USC a 98.1% chance of beating ASU in the contest. Yes, the Sun Devils have a 1.9% chance of upsetting the Trojans according to the site’s analytics.
Pac-12 Football Predictions: ESPN Matchup Predictor picks and odds for Week 4
USC is a 33.5-point favorite for the game, according to FanDuel Sportsbook.
The Trojans are -4500 on the moneyline. Sun Devils +1600.
The over/under for the game was set at 61.5 points.
Who wins the College Game for Week 4?: USC Football vs. Arizona State picks, predictions and odds
Pregame readout for USC vs. ASU Football for Week 4 of college football
ASU football coach Kenny Dillingham’s “play to win” before the USC game has fans swearing
Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Eight undefeated teams, new No. 1 enters conference play
Arizona State University wide receiver Xavier Guillory hopes to set an example for young Native Americans
From the “Jael Mary” to the overtime classic, the best games in ASU-USC football history
Watch Caleb Williams in Arizona as much as possible, as he may not want to play for the Cardinals
Analysis: This could be the last meeting between ASU and USC football. Is there anyone interested?
We sometimes recommend interesting products and services. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn affiliate fees. USA TODAY Network newsrooms operate independently and do not influence our coverage.
Support local journalism: Subscribe azcentral.com today.
“Coffee ninja. Web fan. Hipster-friendly beer enthusiast. Professional creator.”