The Princess of Wales was 'deeply touched' by messages of support after her cancer diagnosis | Catherine, Princess of Wales

A spokesman for Kensington Palace said the Princess of Wales and her husband, Prince William, have been “deeply touched” by the messages of support she has received since she announced her cancer diagnosis.

Katherine said on Friday she was undergoing preventive chemotherapy after tests carried out following major abdominal surgery in January revealed she had cancer.

The 42-year-old wife of the Crown Prince described the discovery of cancer as a “huge shock.” This news came as a new health blow to the British royal family: King Charles is also undergoing treatment for cancer.

Kate's statement via video message, filmed at Windsor Castle on Wednesday, sparked an outpouring of support from well-wishers.

“The Prince and Princess have been deeply touched by the kind messages people have sent here in the UK, across the Commonwealth and around the world in response to Her Royal Highness’s letter,” a Kensington Palace spokesman said in a statement on Saturday.

“They have been extremely touched by the public’s warmth and support and are grateful that their request for privacy is understood at this time.”

It is not known how long Kate will receive treatment, but it is understood that she may be keen to attend events when she feels able to, in line with medical advice, although this would not indicate a return to her full-time duties.

William will continue to balance supporting his wife and family with maintaining his official duties, as he has done since her surgery.

The prince is scheduled to return to his public duties after his children return to school after the Easter holiday. He and his wife will not attend the royal family's traditional Easter Mass at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, which the king hopes to go to with the queen if his health permits.

See also  Chris Hemsworth 'Took Time Off From Work' After Preparing For Alzheimer's

It is unlikely to be a large family gathering or service, according to The Telegraph, as Charles has paused his public royal duties.

The palace said Catherine began chemotherapy in late February. It is understood that her public announcement of the news came to coincide with children being separated from school for the Easter holiday.

The palace said that Catherine wanted to provide a medical update in order to put an end to speculation sparked by her admission to a London clinic on January 16 for major abdominal surgery. At the time, the palace refused to confirm the reason for Catherine's treatment, but said the condition was not cancerous.

This speculation only increased when the first official post-surgery photo of the Princess of Wales was withdrawn by some of the world's biggest photo agencies earlier this month over claims it had been doctored.

With Reuters and the Press Association

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *