Serbia. Prosecutors say the accused, Radovan Karadzic and Radko Miladic, are in critical condition

Serbian criminals Radovan Karadzic and Radko Miladic are in critical condition, doctors do not want to help them – “Politica” daily reported on Friday, citing their lawyers. Karadzic and Miladic are serving life sentences for genocide and are among the most prominent people convicted of crimes committed in Bosnia in 1992-95.

The British prison authorities where 78-year-old Radovan Karadzic is serving time are refusing to take him to hospital and give him the food he needs while he is being treated for diabetes, lawyer Goran Petronjevic told the newspaper.

“Karajic has suffered from serious health problems in recent days and is in severe pain. He has prostate problems and diabetes and is being denied the help he needs. His family is under US sanctions, which prevent him from visiting, and Serbian politics during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the 1990s. The leader's bodyguard told a Serbian newspaper that he was only able to be reached, saying there was a priest.

Instead of keeping Karadzic in England, the lawyer said, he should have been sent to a prison near independent Slovenia, Greece or Hungary. – Great Britain chooses additional suffering beyond punishment – said the lawyer.

Karadzic was convicted of killing 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica in 1995.ICTY

“They do the opposite”

Defense lawyer for 79-year-old Radek Miladic, Franko Lukic, said doctors mistreated his client. He said the doctors treating him at the prison in The Hague were “acting contrary to the instructions received from the Serbian experts examining the convict's health”.

See also  Prime Minister of the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Manuela Schwesic Russia TVP3 Interests of Szczecin: He cooperated with the Voivodeship Marshal

Mladic and others are under investigation. For the killing of more than eight thousand Muslims in Srebrenica in 1995ICTY

Karadzic is the most high-profile politician tried by the Hague Tribunal since the death of former Serbian and Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic in 2006. Jurors found him guilty of the 33-month siege of Sarajevo, which left around 12,000 dead, and crimes committed in Bosnian cities controlled by his forces. They also considered the killing of nearly 8,000 Muslim men in Srebrenica in July 1995 to be genocide. The massacre is considered the worst crime in Europe since World War II.

As commander of the Bosnian Serbs, Mladic was responsible for the first wave of occupation and camps for Muslim populations created at the start of the deadly war in 1992.

Genocide in Srebrenica

The most serious crime in the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina for which two Serbian leaders were convicted was the Srebrenica genocide. In July 1995, more than 8,000 people were killed in the vicinity of the city – a so-called UN-supervised safe zone until it was captured by the Serbs. Men and boys living in the Muslim country of Bosnia. The remains of around a thousand victims are still being searched for.

So far, more than 50 people have been sentenced to a total of 700 years in prison for genocide and crimes committed in Srebrenica.

Main photo source: ICTY

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *