- “It’s hard to come to order. We are losing only the rector, a keen scientist with wide knowledge, a valuable teacher, a talented creator – Prof. Dariusz Bogdal, vice rector of science at the university
- Officials of the Technical University of Krakow point out that his departure is a great loss not only for our university, but also for the academic community of Krakow and Malopolska, as well as for the world of Polish science and architecture.
- Prof. Andrzej Białkiewicz took office as rector in September 2020.
- More important information can be found on the Onet homepage
Prof. Andrzej Białkiewicz was a two-term vice-rector of the Technical University and a long-time head of the Department of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture at the Faculty of Architecture of the Technical University of Krakow, before assuming the position of rector. He combined his scientific and didactic work with a rich architectural practice. He died in Krakow on the evening of Wednesday, March 22.
The rector of the Krakow University of Technology has died
– The departure of our Rector is an unimaginably painful blow to the entire academic community of the Krakow University of Technology. A special member of our community has passed away Fully devoted to the university for almost half a century, co-author of our many successes and co-creator of the new strategy for further development of the technical university – says the professor. Dariusz Bogdal, vice rector of science at the university.
“It’s hard to come to order. We are losing not only the chancellor, but a keen scientist with wide knowledge, a valuable teacher and a talented creator. Above all, however, we lose a close companion in academic life, A man of extraordinary perseverance, modesty and compassion, A great believer in people. To colleagues, subordinates, but also to students – always understanding, respecting everyone. His departure is a great loss not only for our university, but also for the academic community of Krakow and Lesser Poland, as well as for the world of Polish science and architecture – says the professor. If you go
Who is the professor? Andrzej Bialkiewicz
Prof. Andrzej Białkiewicz was born on June 13, 1954 in Czeladź. In 1978, he graduated from the Faculty of Architecture of the Technical University of Krakow and began working in the Department of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture at the Faculty of Architecture of the Technical University of Krakow. He managed it during the years 2011-2020.
July 8, 2020 Prof. Andrzej Białkiewicz was elected rector of the Cracow University of Technology. He accepted the ceremony on September 1, 2020. Previously, from 2012-2020, he was the University’s Vice-Chancellor for Public Affairs, among others. Investments, development of research and teaching infrastructure and cooperation with local government and economic environment.
Major areas of research interests of Prof. Białkiewicz’s theory of contemporary architecture, especially modernist architecture, the role of drawings in the work of architects, the preservation of architectural heritage, the processes of giving contemporary functions to architectural monuments, including the phenomenon of his decaying buildings. He is the author or co-author of about 140 scientific publications in national and international journals and three monographs. He is a multiple awardee at the annual CUT Rector’s Awards for Scientific, Teaching and Institutional Activities, awarded the CUT Badge of Honour.
He actively participated in national and international scientific and didactic collaborations. He has presented at many scientific conferences, e.g. New York, Córdoba, Budapest, Barcelona, Florence, Moscow, Mexico City, Istanbul, Cologne, Quebec, Singapore, Xi’an, Bangkok, Athens. He collaborated with foreign universities, e.g. From Italy, Germany and Austria.
. “Hardcore internet junkie. Award-winning bacon ninja. Social media trailblazer. Subtly charming pop culture advocate. Falls down a lot.”