California. He followed the dog into the pond. He died three weeks later

“Flesh-eating” bacteria may have contributed to the death of a 41-year-old California resident. The infection occurred while playing with the dog in the pool. As it turned out, the microbe entered the human body through a small cut. By the time California was taken to the hospital, it was too late.

Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare but dangerous condition caused by various bacteria. These microbes secrete toxins that destroy the connective tissue under the skin, and in particularly severe cases, the infection can lead to amputation or death. Group A streptococci, or streptococci, are responsible for most cases.

He followed the dog into the water

It was this microbe that infected a 41-year-old man living in California. Three weeks ago, a man walked into a pond where his dog was playing. The stagnant water splashed a small cut on his forearm, but nothing frightening happened at first. After some time, the skin around the wound began to swell and turn red, and then purulent petechiae appeared at the cut site.

Initially, the man refused to go to the doctor and tried to treat the wound with an antibacterial cream. However, at one point, the pain became so severe that he was admitted to a California hospital. There he was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis. Unfortunately, when treatment began it was too late – the man died two days later in the ward.

Up to a third of patients die

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), necrotizing fasciitis is a very rare disease, with only 700 to 1,100 cases in the United States each year. However, it is a major threat to health and life – it is estimated that 1 in 3 people with necrotizing fasciitis die from the infection.

See also  Alyaksandr Lukashenko: I have a draft agreement on my desk. Bad for Russia

“Accurate diagnosis, prompt treatment with antibiotics, and prompt surgery are essential to eradicate this infection,” the CDC said.

“Carnivorous” streptococcus is often found in warm, brackish water. These are not the only microbes that cause necrotizing fasciitis—in some cases, they expand the bacteria’s geographic range Vibrio vulnificus. Infection is especially dangerous for people with weakened immune systems, diabetics and children.

NBC News, CDC, tvnmeteo.pl

Main photo source: Shutterstock

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *