The wife of the Toronto gunman says the two victims allegedly defrauded the family of their life savings

TORONTO (AP) — The gunman in Deadly shooting in Toronto Earlier this week he believed the two victims had defrauded his family, his wife said Wednesday, as court records indicate the family was suing the couple after losing more than $1 million Canadian in an alleged investment scam.

A man and a woman were shot and killed, and an attacker also died Monday at a north Toronto office near a daycare centre.

In a statement released by her attorneys, Alyssa Pogorelowski said her husband, Alan Katz, who also died in the shooting, “could not bear to lose our savings and that is what led to this tragic event.”

“I hope that one day my family can heal,” she wrote.

Police have identified the victims of Monday’s shooting as 54-year-old Arash Misaghi and 44-year-old Samira Yousefi, but have not identified the 46-year-old shooter.

Court records detail how Pogorelowski and her husband sued the two people killed in the shooting and others, after losing C$1.28 million (US$930,000) in an alleged mass mortgage fraud.

The accusations against Misaghi and Youssoufi were not proven in court.

Misaghi faced charges in 2018 for his alleged role in a complex C$17 million (US$12.4 million) mortgage fraud scheme, which investigating police called Project Bridle Path.

“The events leading up to the lawsuit in which we are involved with Misaghi and Youssef have devastated and are now destroying our family,” Pogorelowski’s statement read.

She added that after the shooting, she found a letter written by her husband explaining “what he was thinking and why he acted this way.”

See also  Alberta's vote will test far-right politics the American way

The shooting Monday afternoon in Toronto’s North York neighbourhood occurred at a business that conducts “financial transactions,” police said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *